Rid England of this Plague
From LGBT Archive
Rex Batten, based on his own experiences as a gay man in rural Dorset in the 1950s. It was published in 2005 by Paradise Press. It takes its title from the Home Secretary of the time, Sir David Maxwell Fyfe, who had vowed to rid England of the "Plague of Homosexuality".
An extract from the book was enacted as part of a play reading by Croydon Area Gay Society at the Warehouse Theatre, Croydon, for LGBT History Month, February 2007.
- "A flawed account of gay life in the oppressive 1950's", Amazon
- "Lessons still to be heeded", Amazon
- "A mirror in time", Amazon
- revew by Joseph Oliver, Goodreads.
- Rex Batten, Rid England of this Plague (London: Paradise Press, 2005). 320 pages. ISBN 978-1-904585-08-6
- ↑ "Police purge homosexuals" (CAGS press release).