UK Intersex Association
From LGBT Archive
Intersex people. Its Director is Dr J. Hayes-Light.
Its aims are:
- to educate, inform and campaign in order to remove the shame, secrecy, social prejudice, ignorance and stigmatization which surround Intersex people.
- to campaign against the pathologising and medicalisation of Intersex peoples' lives.
- to campaign against the use of surgery and other medical treatments for coercing Intersex people to physically conform to cultural definitions of "normal".
- to campaign against the widespread practice of witholding information from Intersex people regarding the medical implications of being born Intersex where these exist.
- to campaign for the same status and respect for human rights accorded to all others to be equally accorded to Intersex people.