In May 2014 he came out as gay, acknowledging a former relationship with the actor and model Jonathan Zeizel. At the 2015 Grammy Awards he said, "I would like to thank the man that I fell in love with last year - the man who this album is about. Thank you so much for breaking my heart, because you got me four Grammys!".
He was ranked number 7 in the Rainbow List 2014:
- "The 22-year-old soul singer is the UK’s biggest new musician of 2014, with massive sales of his debut album. During the promotional rounds, he revealed it was written about his love for a guy, making him a rarity – the pop star who comes out at the beginning of his career."
In 2015 he won the Brit Awards for British Breakthrough Act, and Global Success.
- http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/Bishops-Stortford/Former-Stortford-schoolboy-Sam-Smith-gears-up-for-tonights-Brit-Awards-20140219164127.htm "Former Stortford schoolboy Sam Smith gears up for tonight's Brit awards", Herts and Essex Observer, 19 February 2014
- http://www.eonline.com/news/546310/sam-smith-opens-up-about-being-gay-reveals-album-is-about-a-guy-who-didn-t-love-him-back "Sam Smith Opens Up About Being Gay, Reveals Album Is About a Guy Who Didn't Love Him Back"
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30931139 "Sam Smith confirms break-up on stage in Toronto", BBC, 22 January 2015
- http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Sam-Smith-Grammys-Acceptance-Speeches-2015-36819757#photo-36819757 Sam Smith's acceptance speeches. Popsugar.com.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30839967 "Brit Awards 2015: Winners list". BBC.