Jeremy Farrer

From LGBT Archive
Jump to: navigation, search
Old parish boundary mark for St Faith's
Jeremy Farrer was found "abusing himselfe on the fast day in St Faith's Church" in "a sodomitical manner" in 1628, and owned up to having done the same "in other churches for the space of a yeare".[1]

The original St Faith's church in the City of London had been removed in 1256 to allow for the extension of St Paul's Cathedral, but the parishioners had been given a space within the cahedral's crypt, which was known as "St Faith under St Paul's". The chapel of the Order of the British Empire in the crypt of the current cathedral is still also known as St Faith's.[2]


  1. Paul Griffiths, Lost Londons (Cambridge, 2008) page 95.
  2. Peter Burman, St Paul's Cathedral, the New Bell's Cathedral Guides (Bell & Hyman, 1987), pages 13–14.