David Allen Green
Green was born and brought up in Birmingham. He studied Modern History at Pembroke College, Oxford and Law at the University of Birmingham. He was called to the Bar in 1999 and became a solicitor in 2001.
Formerly a lawyer at Baker & McKenzie, Herbert Smith, and the Treasury Solicitor's Department, he is since 2009 head of the media practice at Preiskel & Co. He was involved on a pro bono basis with Simon Singh's successful libel defence campaign against the British Chiropractic Association and in 2010, he advised Sally Bercow in her successful defence of a threatened libel action by lobby group MigrationWatch UK and their chairman Sir Andrew Green.
He is also legal correspondent for the New Statesman;. Green is a prolific blogger, both on his own Jack of Kent blog and as part of his contribution to New Statesman magazine. He appears on the legal podcast Without Prejudice. His articles on legal matters have been published by The Guardian, The Lawyer, New Scientist, and others.
Green is founder and convenor of Westminster Skeptics, and sits on the advisory board of Sense About Science and on the editorial board of The Skeptic magazine.
He was shortlisted for the George Orwell blogging prize in 2010. He was named in 2010 as one of the leading innovators in journalism and media, and in 2011 as one of the 'Hot 100' lawyers by The Lawyer.
He was listed number 58 in the Pink List 2012. The citation said:
- "The media lawyer and journalist has had a busy year. He was the solicitor in the successful "Twitter Joke Trial appeal", and a witness at the Leveson inquiry hearings, discussing the role of social media. He is also legal correspondent of the New Statesman and blogs as Jack of Kent."
Responding to his inclusion in the Pink List, Green tweeted that he was bisexual:
- "Delighted to represent the usually neglected Bs in LGBT in the IoS #PinkList."
- http://www.google.co.uk/profiles/davidallengreen Personal profile
- http://jackofkent.blogspot.com/ Jack of Kent blog
Adapted from the Wikipedia article of the same name.
- http://www.preiskel.com/people/david-allen-green/ "David Allen Green" Preiskel & Co
- http://www.thelawyer.com/migrationwatch-drops-sally-bercow-libel-threat/1005702.article "Migrationwatch drops Sally Bercow libel threat" Katy Dowell 7 October 2010 The Lawyer
- http://jackofkent.blogspot.com/2010/10/defending-sally-bercow.html Jack of Kent: Defending Sally Bercow David Allen Green Blogger
- http://www.newstatesman.com/writers/david_allen_green New Statesman (articles by) David Allen Green
- http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green "David Allen Green Blog for New Statesman"
- http://westminster.skepticsinthepub.org/ Westminster Skeptics
- http://blogs.journalism.co.uk/editors/2010/07/22/are-you-on-the-j-list-the-leading-innovators-in-journalism-and-media-in-2010/ "Are you on the j-list? The leading innovators in journalism and media in 2010" Journalism.co.uk
- http://www.centaur2.co.uk/emags/thelawyer/Hot100_2011/ "The Hot 100 2011" The Lawyer (pages4, 6, 10)
- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/the-ios-pink-list-2012-8216187.html "The IoS Pink List 2012" Independent on Sunday 4 November 2012
- https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen/status/265055562864132096 David Allen Green Twitter 4 November 2012 [Quoted on Wikipedia but no longer available]