Hayward was educated at Abingdon School, Maidenhead Grammar School and the University of Rhodesia. He served as Vice-Chairman of the Young Conservatives in 1976-77 and was a councillor on Coventry City Council 1976-78.
Hayward received an OBE for his services to friends and families of hostages prior to the Gulf War in 1991, when he established and ran, with others, the Gulf Support Group for civilians who were held in Iraq after the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. This service ran initially from Hayward's home then from offices in London. He remains the only serving MP ever to receive a civilian honour for services outside of politics.
He lives in London and was formerly CEO of the Beer and Pub Association where he has stewarded through difficult legislation regarding opening hours and the smoking ban.
Hayward has been a prominent spokesmen on gay and lesbian issues since coming out after leaving parliament, and was one of the founding members of the Kings Cross Steelers who successfully competed as the first Gay Rugby Union team in the world. He is currently a Vice-President of the club. In 1997, he was interviewed on Panorama about gay and lesbian issues as a member of the executive of the Stonewall organisation. He was finance chairman of Stonewall for 5 years.
In 2000 he was listed in the Independent on Sunday's Pink List 2000. The citation said:
- "Now CEO of the Brewers' and Licensed Retailers' Association, Robert Hayward has had a high-profile career. After a 10-year stint in politics as a Tory MP, he went into industry. He is now director of Stonewall and president of the first gay rugby club."
Hayward stepped down as CEO of the Beer and Pub association in 2009 in order to concentrate on his career as a psephologist and political analyst. He is currently an advisor to Eric Pickles MP, Chairman of the Tory Party, and was widely credited with identifying 'motorway man' as a key factor in 2010 general election.
It was announced on 15 May 2012 that Robert Hayward would be chairing the government's Public Sector Equality Duty review.
Adapted from a Wikipedia article.
- http://www.ymca.co.uk/charity-information/ Central YMCA Trustees
- http://www.campaignfordignityindying.org.uk/pages/how/504/dignity_in_dying.html "Campaign for Dignity in Dying"
- http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0283fcbe-06f5-11df-b058-00144feabdc0.html Jim Pickard "British parties in election drive to track down Motorway Man" The Financial Times 22 January 2010
- http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130128103514/http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/equalities/equality-act/equality-duty/equality-duty-review/membership-steering-group/ Membership of the Steering Group
- https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/61369/page/18373 The London Gazette, no. 61369. p. 18373}