was founded in 1872 as University College Wales, Aberystwyth
it became a founder member of the University of Wales
in 1894 and changed its name to the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
. In the mid-1990s, the university again changed its name to the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
. It became independent again under its present name in 2007.
The main campus is situated on Penglais Hill, overlooking the town of Aberystwyth.