He was born in Banbury, Oxfordshire, and moved to Birmingham with his parents, both scientists, when he was ten months old, growing up in Northfield and Solihull. He attended Green Meadow Infants School, Langley Junior School and King Edward's School in Edgbaston. He studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Keble College, Oxford.
Street is openly gay. He is a close friend of the conservative MP Michael Fabricant, with whom he shares a holiday home. In December 2021, Fabricant described his relationship with Street as being life partners.
- Julia Finch, "Humble MD who is never knowingly underpaid" The Guardian, 9 September 2013.
- Neil Elkes, "Who is Andy Street?", Birmingham Mail, 18 September 2016.
- Steve Dyson, BQ West Midlands Business Quarter West Midlands, 9 September 2013.
- Matthew Gwyther, "John Lewis MD Andy Street: 'Our moral compass is always in play'" Management Today, 1 December 2014.
- Benjamin Butterworth "Conservative Andy Street becomes UK's first directly-elected gay metro mayor", Pink News, 5 May 2017.
- "Tory MP Michael Fabricant shamelessly plugs John Lewis.. but then he does share a home with its boss", Daily Mirror, 14 June 2009, updated 13 April 2012.
- "West Midlands mayor candidate says his mum warned him against standing", Birmingham Live, 22 January 2017.
- Nick Duffy, "Michael Fabricant reveals sex life after ‘KGB style’ Mail interview", Pink News, 23 November 2014.