This wiki needs more Photographs. Ideally, every article should have an illustration (or more than one) and in particular articles about people (since the invention of photography) should have a photograph. But we can't use any old photograph that happens to be on the web, because of copyright restrictions.
The photographs on this site come from several sources.
- Wikimedia Commons is a free-to-use repository of images used by Wikipedia and other sites. It's particularly easy to use Wikimedia Commmons images on a Wiki like this one, and roughly half our images come from there: you can see a list of these at Special:WantedFiles where for technical reasons they are shown
struck out. We are also starting to add images used on this wiki to Wikimedia Commons – see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Files_from_the_LGBT_UK_History_Project.
- The other half (roughly) of our images are held on this wiki, and should all be listed in one of the sub-categories of Category:Images (which also includes some other types of illustration, notably logos). These come from several sources:
- Some are reduced-size versions of images on Wikimedia Commons, where the original image was too big to display correctly on this wiki. There's a list of these at Category:Smaller versions of Commons images.
- Some come from Wikipedia, which has a lot of images that don't quite satisfy the stringent requirements to be included in Wikimedia Commons, but in almost all cases these are perfectly safe to use on this wiki. There's a list of them at Category:Images from Wikipedia.
- Some come from sources that allow free use for non-commercial purposes only (and hence would not be eligible for Wikimedia Commons). See for instance Category:Images from the National Portrait Gallery.
- Some are photographs taken by the people who uploaded them; these are normally released under the same licence as the text of this wiki.
- Some have been downloaded from other websites, normally LGBT community sites, and the copyright and licensing situation of these may be unclear. Anyone wishing to reuse them should be aware of this – and if you believe that we have infringed your copyright for any of these please get in touch.
If you have a photograph that could illustrate one of our articles, and you either took it yourself, or can assure us that you have the copyright owner's permission, we'd very much appreciate you uploading it, or e-mailing it to one of our editors for uploading. You could also consider uploading it to Wikimedia Commons for use in other projects – but in that case please let us know you've done so. There's a list of articles that specifically need illustrating at LGBT Archive:Pictures wanted and a much longer list at Category:Articles with no pictures.
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:LGBT_in_the_United_Kingdom Wikimedia Commons: LGBT in the United kingdom
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:LGBT_history_in_the_United_Kingdom Wikimedia Commons: LGBT history in the United kingdom