Detransition is the cessation or reversal of a transgender identification or gender transition, whether by social, legal, or medical means. Some individuals detransition on a temporary basis.
In 2020 23-year-old Keira Bell joined a lawsuit against the NHS Gender Identity Development Service. Bell was prescribed puberty blockers at age 16 and testosterone a year later, and had her breasts removed before stopping hormone treatments and reidentifying as a woman.
Sinead Watson is a detransitioned woman who began medical transition in 2015 at age 24 at the Sandyford clinic in Glasgow. She began to feel regret three years later, finally making the decision to stop taking testosterone in 2019 .
In 2022 Ritchie Herron, a 35 year old man, who had lived as a woman after being born a male, announced that he was planning a legal case against Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne & Wear NHS Foundation Trust after medical treatment for transition had resulted in complications. Herron also claimed that the NHS failed to take his mental health crisis into account before procedures .
Academic research into detransition is underdeveloped. James Caspian enrolled on the MA in Counselling and Psychotherapy at Bath Spa University wishing to research reverse gender reassignment surgeries, a phenomenon that had never been researched. However the University refused to allow his research and so he took his case to court . The case is currently waiting to be heard at the European Court of Human Rights .
Social media sites are revealing an increasing number of young people seeking help with detransitioning .
Detrans Awareness Day is 12th March.
- Sinead's story is shared with her sister https://www.transgendertrend.com/transition-detransition-conversation-between-sisters/
- 'My first thought as I came round was Oh God! What have I done?' Daily Mail 26 June 2022: Man suing the NHS over trans surgery he bitterly regrets has bravely waived anonymity to share his ordealhttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10953157/Man-suing-NHS-trans-surgery-regrets-bravely-waived-anonymity-share-ordeal.html
- https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/bath-spa-university-james-caspian-2557060 Ex-Bath Spa student James Caspian fails in court fight against university 20 Feb 2019
- Psychotherapist blocked from studying ‘trans regret’ takes case to the European Court 5 Feb 2021 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/05/psychotherapist-blocked-studying-trans-regret-takes-case-european/
- https://twitter.com/FtMdetransed Detrans Voices on Twitter is one such forum (accessed 23 November 2021)