In 1941 the Arts and Battledress bar was opened by Stan Cowley in Orange Street, behind the National Gallery in London. In 1952 it moved to Rupert Street, changing its name to A&B.
In 1976 Gay News listed only two gay bars (the A&B and the Golden Lion) in the whole of Soho.
See Timeline of West End Bars and Clubs.
- ↑ http://qxmagazine.com/pdf/gayhistory-soho.pdf