Difference between revisions of "A&B"

From LGBT Archive
Jump to: navigation, search
(27 Wardour Street)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1941 the '''Arts and Battledress''' bar was opened by [[Stan Cowley]] in Orange Street, behind the National Gallery in London. In 1952 it moved to [[Rupert Street]], changing its name to '''A&B'''.
+
In 1941 the '''Arts and Battledress''' bar was opened by [[Stan Cowley]] in Orange Street, behind the National Gallery in London. In 1952 it moved to 27 [[Wardour Street]] (entrance in [[Rupert Street]]), changing its name to '''A&B'''.
 
   
 
   
 
In 1976 [[Gay News]] listed only two gay bars (the A&B and the [[Golden Lion]]) in the whole of [[Soho]].<ref>http://qxmagazine.com/pdf/gayhistory-soho.pdf</ref>
 
In 1976 [[Gay News]] listed only two gay bars (the A&B and the [[Golden Lion]]) in the whole of [[Soho]].<ref>http://qxmagazine.com/pdf/gayhistory-soho.pdf</ref>

Latest revision as of 21:18, 17 October 2019

In 1941 the Arts and Battledress bar was opened by Stan Cowley in Orange Street, behind the National Gallery in London. In 1952 it moved to 27 Wardour Street (entrance in Rupert Street), changing its name to A&B.

In 1976 Gay News listed only two gay bars (the A&B and the Golden Lion) in the whole of Soho.[1]

See Timeline of West End Bars and Clubs.

References

  1. http://qxmagazine.com/pdf/gayhistory-soho.pdf