Winchester Pride 2018 outside the Cathedral (photo by Clifford Williams)
is a city in Hampshire
. It was historically the capital of Wessex
and for a time the capital of England
. The current local government area City of Winchester
also covers a large area of the surrounding countryside. Noted landmarks include the cathedral (the longest in Europe), the Great Hall (which contains "King Arthur's Round Table") and a public school, Winchester College
Lord Alfred Douglas1884-1888 and Patrick Gale in the 1970s, both attended Winchester College.
The trial of Peter Wildeblood, Lord Montagu and Michael Pitt-Rivers was held in the Great Hall of Winchester in 1954 .
There was a Winchester CHE group in the 1970s.The Winchester Gay Group met at the Railway Inn 1976-77; the City Tavern 1977-8; The Ship Inn circa 1979, and back at the City Tavern 1980-83 . In February 1983 it began to meet at the Royal Oak in St George's Street . The group was still meeting in 2002 at a private home in Oliver's Battery, but the group disbanded sometime after 2002.
Hampshire Pride has been held in Winchester since 2015, with a parade starting at the University of Winchester.
A young people's LGBT Group, called Y-Services ,have been meeting weekly at the Carroll Centre in Winchester since the start of 2018.
In the summer of 2019 Hampshire Record Office in Winchester had an exhibition on the county LGBT+ history which was created by the Y-Services young people's Heritage Lottery funded project .
- ↑ The trial opened at Winchester Assizes 15 March 1954.
- ↑ Winchester Gay Group Newsletters 1-26 Oct 1976-Jan 1979 are held in the British Library. In 1978 the group temporarily met in Twyford at the Phoenix Inn, as well as having weekly meetings at the Friends Meeting House in Winchester
- ↑ Gay Solent Newsletter no 46 Feb 1983 (Hall Carpenter Archives, LSE Ref HCA/CHE/7/55)
- ↑ http://www.yservices.co.uk/. accessed 21.08.2018
- ↑ https://www.fyne.co.uk/a-queer-history-of-hampshire/