Trans Day of Remembrance
It was originally founded in the USA in 1998 to memorialize the murder of Rita Hester in Alliston, Massachusetts. Typically, a TDoR memorial includes a reading of the names of those who lost their lives during the previous year and may include other actions, such as candlelight vigils, art shows, food drives, film screenings, and marches.
The Trans Day of Remembrance has now been celebrated for several years in the UK.
UK people who have been commemorated include:
- Kellie Telesford (died 21 November 2007)
- Andrea Waddell (died 15 October 2009)
- Destiny Lauren (died 5 November 2009)
- Chrissie Azzopardi (died 4 June 2012)
Other UK trans people who have died by violence or suicide include:
International TDoR site:http://www.transgenderdor.org/
- http://www.tdor.org.uk/ UK TDOR site