She was born in Wimbledon and has lived and worked in Brighton since 1997. She was a member of the world’s first gay ceilidh group, and performs with the Rainbow Chorus. In 2006, she wrote and researched online content for the Icons Project, a national web project on British culture, commissioned by Culture Online. In 2007, she contributed to the online exhibition and website dedicated to the life and works of Joe Orton.
Her books include:
- Colonel Barker’s Monstrous Regiment: A Tale of Female Husbandry (Virago 2000 & 2001)
- A Trouser-Wearing Character: The Life and Times of Nancy Spain (Cassell 1997 & 1999)
- Portraits To The Wall, a celebration of lesbian lives hitherto concealed by history (Cassell 1994).
- The Mammoth Book of Lesbian Erotica (2000)
- The New Encyclopaedia of Brighton (2010)