From LGBT Archive
In 1998, he came out as gay:
- "I think that most people know that I've been a gay man all of my life, and it's only been in recent times it's an issue that I feel comfortable to address ... something that I feel has a moment, and this is the moment to discuss it."
In a 1998 interview with the Editor In Chief of The Advocate, Halford broke down in tears and told Judy Wieder,
- "It's a wonderful moment when you walk out of the closet. Now I've done that and I've freed myself. It's a great feeling for me to finally let go and make this statement—especially to The Advocate, because this magazine has brought me so much comfort over the years. Obviously this is just a wonderful day for me." 
- http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1429870/19980205/halford_rob.jhtml "Rob Halford Discusses Sexuality Publicly For The First Time" 5 February 1998 MTV News 24 May 2010
- Judy Wieder (ed) Celebrity: The Advocate Interviews Advocate Books, New York, 2001 isbn=1-55583-722-0 page=94
- http://www.myspace.com/robhalford Halford MySpace website