From LGBT Archive
East Midlands. It is now a unitary authority within the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire. During the industrial revolution it became famous for lace-making, bicycle and tobacco industries.
In 1977 the CHE conference was held in Nottingham.In Dec 1984 the city hosted the Lesbian and Gay Youth Movement Winter Festival, attended by over 100 young people and including a civic reception hosted by the Council and attended by the Lord Mayor .
Local LGBT facilities and groups include:
- Nottingham Ball Bois FC – the local gay football club
- SASSI – Black and Asian LGB group
- Outburst (Nottingham) – for LGBT young people
People who were born or lived in Nottingham include:
- Robert Newton – athlete
- Ray Gosling – gay rights campaigner
- D H Lawrence – novelist
- Roger Baker – Journalist and London CHE organiser.
Nottingham Pride is held in July.
- Amiable Warriors Volume One, pages 279–280.
- Gay Nottingham Issue 10 1985 (in Hall Carpenter archives, London School of Economics HCA/Journals/280D)