On 13 May 2009, Ross was accused of homophobia after a comment he made on his radio show, in which he said:
- "If your son asks for a Hannah Montana MP3 player, then you might want to already think about putting him down for adoption in later life, when they settle down with their partner.
Jonathan Ross was listed as under "non-LGBT Friends" in the Pink List 2011. The citation said:
- "On hearing that his daughter Betty Kitten is a lesbian, all he cared about was that she is 'good and happy'."
On 21 January 2012, Jonathan Ross made a number of transphobic comments on The Jonathan Ross Show, regarding the news that a Thai airline would be adding transgender people to its flight attendant staff. He said:
- "Have you seen this story, I love this story today, a Thai airline, a company called PC Air has announced an exciting new recruitment policy – they're going to recruit more ladyboys to be air stewards! Unlike most airlines they are actually encouraging you to take a concealed weapon on board. The biggest shock on that plane is when the plane hits turbulence because it's not just the oxygen masks that fall down in front of your face. What a great way to spend a flight though, because you wouldn't need puzzles or movies, because you'd just be, "Is she? Is he? Is she?" And when you want to find out the answer you just press the buzzer and go, "Excuse me, do you have any nuts?".
Partly based on a Wikipedia article.
- http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-12406.html Jessica Geen "Exclusive: Jonathan Ross accused of homophobia", Pink News, 13 May 2009.
- http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/obb137/Issue137.pdf "Ofcom Broadcast Bulletin Issue 137", Ofcom, 6 July 2009
- http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/jonathan-ross-apologizes-lady-boy-airline-gag Matthew Jenkin "Jonathan Ross apologizes for 'lady boy' airline gag" GayStar News 30 January 2012