Harry's Restaurant

From LGBT Archive
Jump to: navigation, search

Harry's Restaurant in Lisle Street, Soho, was a "resort of perverts and women of Ill-repute". The police brought a fine against the premises in 1936 for harbouring prostitutes, a year later it closed.

Other clubs and pubs popular with homosexuals at the time were the York Minster, the Swiss (now Comptons) and the Marquis of Granby in Soho. Peter Wildeblood called them "less [than] discreet", rough and cruisy. Throughout the 1930s respectable men in evening dress and camp queans solicited sailors and workmen in the Running Horse. Other venues included the Billie's Club, the Hungry Horse, Gerano's in New Compton Street, Chez Victor in Wardour Street. The downstairs bar at the Ritz Hotel was frequented by men from high society, nicknamed l’Abri (the shelter), and the Trocadero Long Bar, owned by Lyon's Corner House.

References

Matt Houlbrook, Queer London